Skip to main content

How To: A guide to being a decent human

As human beings, we’re kind of selfish. This is a quality that I have recognized in myself many times, but don’t do anything about. Look at the world today; we’re not doing great with the whole peace and love idea that was so popular in the sixties and seventies. However, maybe we can change that--just start small.
First off, this idea is pretty simple. Stop being rude to people. Especially servers, waiters, etc. They can only do so much, so how about you relax? Yes, your order will come. Stop shaking your leg and aggressively sighing to show them that they are wasting your precious time. If you are so short on time, then maybe you don’t need to be ordering a tall nonfat latte with two percent foam at precisely 120 degrees during the morning rush. The people you see walking around everyday have just as complex lives as you do. Maybe they are having a bad day already. You certainly do not need to add to it by being rude. Relax, my fellow human being, relax. There is no need to exert any more energy in being negative towards others around you. Being so negative affects you as well. Take a moment, let it all go, and feel the dark cloud of gloom disappear from your shoulders. Don’t you feel better already?
Secondly, be kind. Kindness is very different from being nice. Being nice is complimenting people and smiling a lot, both of which I do very rarely. Being kind is so easy to do that it honestly boggles my mind when people don’t do it. You can simply accomplish being kind by holding the door for someone if they have their hands full (also do it if their hands are not full, don’t be a jerk). Or perhaps, you give up your seat on the bus because an old lady or a pregnant woman has got on (if you don’t do this already, I am definitely judging you). Just help somebody out, and bam! Kindness achieved. 
Next, say “please” and “thank you” whenever appropriate. This was quite possibly the first thing I learned as a child. Whenever someone did something for me and I didn’t say anything, my mom would say these words, “What do you say to the nice man/woman?” This is so simple to do that it literally only takes one second of your time. Go ahead, say “Thank you." How long did that take? One. Whole. Second. Maybe up to two seconds if you say, “Thank you very much.” But now we’re just being fancy. 
Lastly, and maybe most importantly, be open-minded. This applies to religion, politics, sexual orientation, and honestly even what your favorite flavor of popsicle is (mine’s orange and that will never change no matter how many times you tell me cherry is better). Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, you know, the whole freedom of speech thing that America has got going on. However, if I talk with someone who has a different idea of religion, I am not going to tell them that they are wrong or that they are going to Hell (yikes!). Earth is pretty big, and I think we can handle multiple religions, political views, genders, the list goes on. Can’t we just agree to disagree?
If you follow these tips, I guarantee that you will become a more decent person. Maybe people will like you better, maybe you will be happier, maybe the world will be a better place? A little action like holding the door or saying “thank you” can make someone’s day and maybe they will do the same later on. You know, paying it forward? 
 “You might as well be happy, it doesn’t cost any extra.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog!

Hello everyone, and welcome to my blog!  I have decided to make a personal blog site. This means that every blog that is posted here will be authentic to me. All thoughts and opinions are my own unless otherwise said. Some posts will be strongly opinionated. Others may cause some discomfort. I write in order to cause YOU to think. I want you to question what I post. I want you to think, feel and have an opinion.  I have been very busy in the writing scene. I am currently working on two novels. One is a collaborative novel and the other is my novel that I've been working on since November 2014. My solo novel will be released January 2017 for public viewing and purchase. The profits from sales will be donated to different organizations/families each month. I will keep you posted on more novel information as it becomes available. Also, I've been a reviewer for local shows and performances. I am excited to share those with you! Reviews will be posted on here within the wee

Good people, good energy.

         Being around good people with good energy is priority.        We have this hero complex where we think we're always the exception to the rule. We're not addicted to our phones, it is everyone else. The age of pointing fingers. We don't get influenced by advertising, that is everyone else. We are too smart, "woke", or whatever word we want to use to decorate our delusions.      A large one is assuming we can influence others, without them influencing us. We have great chemistry, horrible chemistry, and everything in between with people, but it is chemistry none the less, and no one walks away the same after we cross paths. There's no shortage of people who need support, we all do, but some of us haven't taken the very crucial first step: helping ourselves.         When you have good energy, you'll attract other good energy, but you'll also attract energy that's toxic. Everyone is worth helping, and even absorbing some of that toxic ener

Growing up or growing out?

You may outgrow people in your life, and people in your life may outgrow you. That's not tragic, that's normal. Growth is life. Before we divorce our friends, let's divorce the idea that it has to be all or nothing. We don't need to have people as only a "best friend" OR completely cut out of our lives. It's okay to have people in our lives that we can only enjoy in moderation. Plenty of my friends live lifestyles and have priorities that don't line up with mine, and that doesn't mean I have to delete them from my life, it just means I can enjoy them in small doses.  We do ourselves and others a disservice when we decide that our history is more important than our future. When we notice our paths heading away from each other, we clinch arms, and both of us fall off course. The only thing we can be promised in life is change, whether that's change for the better or worse, is something our attitudes can impact. I'm not going to mourn a fr