Skip to main content

What's your story?

In a previous blog, I wrote: 'The best present you could give yourself is the "present''. The past no longer exists and tomorrow never seems to come. All we have is now.'

Even though I still believe this to be true, some recent events have changed my outlook on how to spend our time in the present. 


We often let ourselves believe that we are defined by our circumstance, our family history, our environment or more. The truth is, we define ourselves by that, no one else does. When you finally get sick of reading the same shitty story over and over again, and you can recite the words by heart, you begin to wonder if there is more to life than that.
I have come to this realization when the social bubble that I lived in burst. I tend to stick to my own little world. I was on my way home from my adventures downtown when I was approached by a man who appeared to be (stereotypically) homeless. I rarely ever turn away a chance to learn something new, which for me has always been a good mindset to have, so I asked him his name. I think that question threw him off-guard, as if no one had asked him that in some time. Throughout our discussion, I had learned a lot. Not just about this man named Shawn, but about myself as well.
I want to take this opportunity to share a little bit about Shawn's story. Shawn is 33 years old, and is a graduate from McMaster University where he studied Engineering. Shawn is also a man who has only lived in a house for 2 of the past eleven years of his life, and spends his free time making gifts for his friends out of things he is given or has collected over time. He usually travels to one of the shelters near Richmond St, and when money allows, to McDonalds to grab a hot meal. 
This isn't Shawn's whole story. This is just a chapter. A chapter that will hopefully be a epilogue to a better ending. 
The duration of my chat with Shawn was him wanting to know about me. My goals, my hopes, what I am really passionate about. It has been one of the most raw and genuine conversations that I have had in years. I met Shawn back in June, but Shawn's chapter of his story has stuck with me everyday. 
Shawn's outlook on his life has caused me to pause and reflect on mine. Although Shawn and I were unable to keep in contact, I consider him to be one of life's biggest teachers. How he carried himself, his passion and zest for life. his goals and aspirations were so simple in my eyes, but for him they meant everything. He has plans to build himself back up, to plan a future instead of being stuck in the 'what ifs' of the past. Even after our deep conversation, Shawn and I went to pizza to discuss other things such as the construction in London and changes we would make if we were on city council. 
After my conversation with Shawn, I left feeling uplifted. I had the biggest smile on my face. He changed me, when I just wanted to say 'hi'. His small chapter of his life's story became the foundation of what I want my future chapters of my life to look like. A positive, outgoing, caring individual with a zest for making other people happy. I could honestly say so much more in detail about Shawn, but out of respect to him, I will leave it at that. 
When we stop living in the past and stop allowing ourselves to be the lead character in someone else’s story about us, we are able to gain control and make decisions based on what we truly desire in life. I didn’t know starting out what my desires were, but I knew very clearly what they weren’t. For me, that was the biggest first step I could take.
What have you been telling yourself about your story? Have you even thought about what your story is?
If we live NOW, live on purpose, and live with the incredible knowledge that you are NOT defined by anything in this life other than what you allow, you gain power. You have the extreme power to write your own story and make it a best seller. 
I think society is so focused in on the past chapter's of their novels. Making attempts to edit them. What we need to do as a collective community is to acknowledge the little things (and do the little things TODAY) that will provide fruition to our future chapters to our life's story. The little things like saying 'hi' to an individual on the street. 
Maybe one day you will meet your Shawn, and maybe he will help you edit the current chapter of your life's story.
- M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's okay to not be okay.

This hasn’t been the easiest of posts for me to write. I’m pretty sure I’ve deleted more words than I’ve written and I’m still not sure if what I’m trying to actually say makes any lick of sense either but if you’ve been in my shoes, hopefully you’ll understand. As a person who has lost many family and friends, I should be a natural at this. I’ve been preparing myself for the emotional rollercoaster, I read blogs on grieving, books, gravitate toward my 'safe places' such as Disney, Harry Potter, Star Wars and of course, writing. Losing someone you care about isn't easy. But I didn’t expect it to be this hard either.  I’m glad that at this point in time, society has been speaking more openly about mental health. I’m thankful that there are resources available for them when they need the help. I’m grateful for the awareness that is out there now amongst peers and teachers and others in authority. I can’t say enough how thankful I am to those who are around my fa

Proactive Pokémon GO

Are you team Pokémon Go or team Pokémon No? I, for one, am definitely team Pokémon Go! I am thrilled that this game is out, not only to bring back my childhood love of Pokémon but to bring more activity into my day. I know many can agree. It's great to see that phones are finally learning from Wii and Kinect. Combining physical activity and video games is a very smart move with this generation.  Finally, Pokémon Go is released in Canada (as of yesterday). I don't think I've ever been more excited for an app or a game.  Even though the app has proven frustrating for most, with servers down, distracted drivers and walkers, those truly determined to be the very best (that no one ever was) persevered and are now joining their respective teams and battling other users.  But besides benefitting your health (and your Pokémon training skills), do you ever think about how you can help others benefit too?  Here are some ideas to bring light into someone's (o

Welcome to my blog!

Hello everyone, and welcome to my blog!  I have decided to make a personal blog site. This means that every blog that is posted here will be authentic to me. All thoughts and opinions are my own unless otherwise said. Some posts will be strongly opinionated. Others may cause some discomfort. I write in order to cause YOU to think. I want you to question what I post. I want you to think, feel and have an opinion.  I have been very busy in the writing scene. I am currently working on two novels. One is a collaborative novel and the other is my novel that I've been working on since November 2014. My solo novel will be released January 2017 for public viewing and purchase. The profits from sales will be donated to different organizations/families each month. I will keep you posted on more novel information as it becomes available. Also, I've been a reviewer for local shows and performances. I am excited to share those with you! Reviews will be posted on here within the wee