Skip to main content

Year of the blog: Day #21 - Growth from a window.

January 23rd, 2018
Day #21


"For as long as I can remember I've felt like I've been held back, no... caged in.

 In spite of the countless messages I heard about how limitless I am, I still believed that level of freedom, for me at least, was forbidden. When I was a little girl, I'd sit by the window listening to my boom box and I'd watch (boss around) my brother and sister while they were playing outside with the neighbourhood kids.

 They always looked like they were having so much fun. I would hear them ask "why isn't she playing with us?"

"I don't know.. she just likes her music" That was true. I did like my music, but what was even more true was that I envied their ability to be carefree and wanted to join them. I tried it once. I went out to play and decided to prove that I wasn't a complete herb by doing a cartwheel in the middle of the street. I was really good at them, and so I nailed it! There was just one problem; I was weeks shy of my first training bra. My attempt to convince the neighbourhood not to cast me off as a total psycho, turned into a preteen peep show. I was MORTIFIED!

That was it. No more reindeer games for me. As long as I had my boom box I'd be good watching the fun from the window. Six years ago it hit me that I've been living my whole life like this. Making music, but too scared to go outside and play. Subconsciously, I gathered it was the best way to keep safe from basically any and everything that could embarrass me. I didn't realize that it was keeping me from what I wanted most; freedom. So I stopped and it led me to places I've only dreamed of, including one of the world's biggest stages.

That's when I realized no matter how much it hurts, or how bad I want to stay inside with my boom box and tell others how they should have fun while I stay safe, I can NEVER go back there! So now that the dust has settled from the whirlwind that was my life a year ago, there's a new storm that's rising and it's wild and free. That storm is ME. And it might be scary, it might be messy. If I'm not careful there might even be a peep show from time to time. But there will be FREEDOM. I'm ready to play. You in?"

- Hole In The Hallows

M. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog!

Hello everyone, and welcome to my blog!  I have decided to make a personal blog site. This means that every blog that is posted here will be authentic to me. All thoughts and opinions are my own unless otherwise said. Some posts will be strongly opinionated. Others may cause some discomfort. I write in order to cause YOU to think. I want you to question what I post. I want you to think, feel and have an opinion.  I have been very busy in the writing scene. I am currently working on two novels. One is a collaborative novel and the other is my novel that I've been working on since November 2014. My solo novel will be released January 2017 for public viewing and purchase. The profits from sales will be donated to different organizations/families each month. I will keep you posted on more novel information as it becomes available. Also, I've been a reviewer for local shows and performances. I am excited to share those with you! Reviews will be posted on here within the wee

Good people, good energy.

         Being around good people with good energy is priority.        We have this hero complex where we think we're always the exception to the rule. We're not addicted to our phones, it is everyone else. The age of pointing fingers. We don't get influenced by advertising, that is everyone else. We are too smart, "woke", or whatever word we want to use to decorate our delusions.      A large one is assuming we can influence others, without them influencing us. We have great chemistry, horrible chemistry, and everything in between with people, but it is chemistry none the less, and no one walks away the same after we cross paths. There's no shortage of people who need support, we all do, but some of us haven't taken the very crucial first step: helping ourselves.         When you have good energy, you'll attract other good energy, but you'll also attract energy that's toxic. Everyone is worth helping, and even absorbing some of that toxic ener

Growing up or growing out?

You may outgrow people in your life, and people in your life may outgrow you. That's not tragic, that's normal. Growth is life. Before we divorce our friends, let's divorce the idea that it has to be all or nothing. We don't need to have people as only a "best friend" OR completely cut out of our lives. It's okay to have people in our lives that we can only enjoy in moderation. Plenty of my friends live lifestyles and have priorities that don't line up with mine, and that doesn't mean I have to delete them from my life, it just means I can enjoy them in small doses.  We do ourselves and others a disservice when we decide that our history is more important than our future. When we notice our paths heading away from each other, we clinch arms, and both of us fall off course. The only thing we can be promised in life is change, whether that's change for the better or worse, is something our attitudes can impact. I'm not going to mourn a fr