Skip to main content

Year of the blog: Day # 9 - NATIONAL MILK DAY

January 11th, 2018

Day #9



Raise a glass to milk!

Hi, my name is Mariann and I have an interesting diet that I am expected to follow due to health issues. My diet includes being gluten and lactose free, as well as reducing foods with corn product, acidic foods, spicy foods, and red meats. Needless to say, I am terrible at following through. Before you ask no, I do not have an intolerance. These are just a sensitivities that I've been stuck with for the past two years (officially).

My sensitivities are very similar to those of intolerance, except I get intense, sharp pains that transmit across my torso and vomit. Sometimes, if I eat enough of these products, I can be bed-ridden.

It is important to know about the common symptoms associated with lactose intolerance, particularly as they can manifest at any stage in life and therefore you could be experiencing these symptoms unaware of the cause. The level to which you react to lactose in your system will vary in each person. A friend of mine is lactose intolerant, but is able to eat certain cheeses such as parmesan and goats’ cheese, but gets extremely ill from milk and yoghurts. This is because certain cheeses like these, and also Greek yogurt, contain probiotics that help to digest the lactose in these foods. Being extremely sensitive however, I am unable to do this, and therefore I try avoid all dairy products that contain lactose. 

Since my Doctor has insisted on this change, I’ve become much more interested in what food I eat and especially determined to ensure my everyday diet is healthy (although, there are many days that I fail - and I will get to that). It has forced me to take notice of all the ingredients in food and become aware of the detrimental effects that dairy products can have on our body. You may be surprised to learn that the human digestive system is not designed to naturally digest lactose and that is why many nutritionists and health experts will urge you to cut out large portions of dairy from your diet if you are looking to become healthier.

It is okay to fail, and it is something that I have been learning about the past (almost) three years. It's been a winding road of being on target and falling off track. There are somedays (most days) that I go out, and see something on the menu that I want. I ask the waitress, who looks into details for me, and they come back saying that there are no substitutes and I end up just getting it anyways. When I go grocery shopping, 'normal' products that contain lactose/gluten etc are much more inexpensive compared to the products that I should be buying. However, I must say that the world is catching up slowly to cater to those who need supplementary foods for their diet.

Today is national milk day, and I do not really know why I decided to share about my lactose sensitivity besides the fact that my friend, Jessica, gave me the idea. Maybe to just educate you on a small part of milk that impacts my life, or to just get you thinking about the many wonders of milk. 


SIDE NOTE:

A big thank you to the cows, goats, almonds, cashews, soy, farmers and all other parts of the milk industry. 

- M

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my blog!

Hello everyone, and welcome to my blog!  I have decided to make a personal blog site. This means that every blog that is posted here will be authentic to me. All thoughts and opinions are my own unless otherwise said. Some posts will be strongly opinionated. Others may cause some discomfort. I write in order to cause YOU to think. I want you to question what I post. I want you to think, feel and have an opinion.  I have been very busy in the writing scene. I am currently working on two novels. One is a collaborative novel and the other is my novel that I've been working on since November 2014. My solo novel will be released January 2017 for public viewing and purchase. The profits from sales will be donated to different organizations/families each month. I will keep you posted on more novel information as it becomes available. Also, I've been a reviewer for local shows and performances. I am excited to share those with you! Reviews will be posted on here within the wee

Good people, good energy.

         Being around good people with good energy is priority.        We have this hero complex where we think we're always the exception to the rule. We're not addicted to our phones, it is everyone else. The age of pointing fingers. We don't get influenced by advertising, that is everyone else. We are too smart, "woke", or whatever word we want to use to decorate our delusions.      A large one is assuming we can influence others, without them influencing us. We have great chemistry, horrible chemistry, and everything in between with people, but it is chemistry none the less, and no one walks away the same after we cross paths. There's no shortage of people who need support, we all do, but some of us haven't taken the very crucial first step: helping ourselves.         When you have good energy, you'll attract other good energy, but you'll also attract energy that's toxic. Everyone is worth helping, and even absorbing some of that toxic ener

Growing up or growing out?

You may outgrow people in your life, and people in your life may outgrow you. That's not tragic, that's normal. Growth is life. Before we divorce our friends, let's divorce the idea that it has to be all or nothing. We don't need to have people as only a "best friend" OR completely cut out of our lives. It's okay to have people in our lives that we can only enjoy in moderation. Plenty of my friends live lifestyles and have priorities that don't line up with mine, and that doesn't mean I have to delete them from my life, it just means I can enjoy them in small doses.  We do ourselves and others a disservice when we decide that our history is more important than our future. When we notice our paths heading away from each other, we clinch arms, and both of us fall off course. The only thing we can be promised in life is change, whether that's change for the better or worse, is something our attitudes can impact. I'm not going to mourn a fr